• Back to website
  • The Garbage Truck does not come a knocking here… ~ indobay, inc.

    1.26.2011

    The Garbage Truck does not come a knocking here…

    I’m sure this story may not be new but I just came across this story {here} and was absolutely flipping out at their efforts and commitment to maintaining a lifestyle of zero-waste.

    At our house, we are very conscious of not creating a lot of waste. We do compost and recycle yet always wonder what actually happens to all that paper and plastic waste that fills our bins. I have also been on a serious purging mission. What this means is that I have been going through our home and assessing what we have. If it’s something that is truly loved and makes us happy it stays, otherwise it is donated. We also have the rule that if something comes in, something must go out. This works well for the most part but we aren’t as diligent with this rule as we could be. So even with all my efforts, to read about a family like the Johnson’s inspired me to see how I can cut down even more waste at home. This family seriously has no waste! The cardboard boxes from cereals, pasta, milk cartons…you won’t find any in this home.

    I urge you to read their story {here}. I warn you now, you will want to jump off your chair and start collecting for The Goodwill. ;)

    Do you have any tips for cutting down on waste that you would like to share? Please leave in the comments. Thanks!

    ~live SIMPLY, live LOVELY~

    1 comment:

    1. Wow, I think I've actually read about this family before. I truly admire them, but know that my home could never go to that extreme. Though I LOVE it when we have little or no garbage, the interior of my home needs to feel a bit more "homey" for me. Does that make sense? It's simply a different personal style preference. I love having photos up of my kids and family (especially my precious Ty bo)and items out and on the walls that have memories or history. And even though I'm using my Nook now for books or getting them from the library, I do love, love, love some of my design, art, garden and crafting books so much that I've found it so difficult (nearing impossible) to part with them.

      While I simply love to clear out stuff - and am happy to say my closet is definitely on the "empty" side right now, I don't want to get rid of items just for the sake of doing so - especially if the item brings me some happiness.

      I guess I'm saying I'll be striving for that happy medium - not buying anything more or unnecessary and not adding to the landfills out there now just for the sake of doing so.

      Thanks for posting this - it's a fabulous reminder, especially after the holidays, that I need to re-focus on what's important and do away with the purchasing fever that can take over at that time of year!
      xoxo

      ReplyDelete

    Hi and thanks for leaving a comment! I love reading what you have to say so feel free to write as little or as much as you'd like!

    Wishing you an inspired day!

    Tania :)

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...